In far off Sumilon Island, off the municipality of Oslob is a lone quadrilateral moro watchtower that has been a mute witness to the history of the place. This is part of the network of telegraphic watchtowers by Boljoon parish priest Fray Julian Bermejo that stretches from Carcar to Santander and was used as lookouts for impending raids by muslim slave raiders.
The structure is located at the highest point of the island that has good views of the surrounding waters, although vegetation is now catching up with it and just beside the present lighthouse. This watchtower also connects the one in Santander and probably the one within the perimeter of Daanglungod.
But one thing, is this the same watchtower that in 1813, saw the coming moro slave raiders and alerted the townsfolk then living within the walls of Daanglungsod? It was near Sumilon Island that the local militia organized by Fray Bermejo was able to challenge and capture the leader of the raiding party, Sultan Goranding.
After this event, the muslim slave raiders never ventured again in the area and because of this, the town of Oslob was transferred to its present site in 1815.