Ligao’s 1881 cemetery entrance arch and wall

The main entrance arch of the Ligao cemetery in Albay built in 1881

The main entrance arch of the Ligao cemetery in Albay built in 1881

The town of Ligao was founded as a barrio of Polangui in 1606 and became an independent town in 1666. It’s present Catholic church is the third or fourth structure that was constructed and finished in 1881 under Fray Manuel Crespo, OFM. On the same year, the Catholic cemetery, located a good distance from the church was built.

The present cemetery still has its original perimeter fence with a main entrance arch topped with a triangular pediment. A lunette with metal grills is found just above the wrought iron gate. The date 1881 is painted at the pediment. It’s just a simple entrance gate with simple decorative elements like the lateral columns and dentils.

I’m not sure if there used to be a cemetery chapel as there are no traces of it but a modern one is found at the center.

Detail of side of entrance arch as well as finial

Detail of side of entrance arch as well as finial

Rear view of entrance arch

Rear view of entrance arch

Dentils found at the pediment with some parts missing

Dentils found at the pediment with some parts missing

Detail of the entrance gate grills

Detail of the entrance gate grills

Front and back of entrance arch column

Front and back of entrance arch column

Low wall of mamposteria

Low wall of mamposteria

Sloping wall directly connected to entrance arch

Sloping wall directly connected to entrance arch

Another view of low wall at one side

Another view of low wall at one side

Different columns along the walls with the middle showing the stones that make up this part

Different columns along the walls with the middle showing the stones that make up this part

Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *