Catmon’s half buried heritage cemetery arch and perimeter fence

The half buried cemetery entrance stone arch of Catmon

The half buried cemetery entrance stone arch of Catmon

Catmon town in northeastern Cebu was established by the Augustinian Recollects in 1835. It was one of four towns established by the order with Danao as the mother parish. The town was first founded at what is now known as Catmon Daan (old Catmon) where a watchtower was also built. It transferred to another place but eventually, Fray Miguel Martinez settled for the third and present location.

Not much has been written about the present Catholic cemetery except from this website that says Fr. Jose Branzuela (1962-1970) opened the old cemetery near the Bawo River. The cemetery consists of a low stone fence and a main entrance arch with a triangular pediment that, over the years, has been half buried as the main highway has been elevated.

There are no inscriptions on the rather small entrance arch and the front has been covered with hollow blocks. The low fence is relatively intact and made of mamposteria while the corner columns are made of cut coral stones.

Rear view of cemetery entrance arch

Rear view of cemetery entrance arch

Side view of entrance arch

Side view of entrance arch

Antique lintel of entrance arch

Antique lintel of entrance arch

The old Catholic cemetery of Catmon in Cebu

The old Catholic cemetery of Catmon in Cebu

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Low wall of perimeter fence

Related Posts with Thumbnails

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *