Removed from her place at the slender belfry of Maasin City’s Spanish colonial era church of coral stones, the main bell of the then church, The La Asuncion is now placed prominently, albiet braced with metal cables and fenced at the cathedral compound of Maasin City just infront of the kumbento.
Maasin in Southern Leyte was founded by the Jesuits in 1700 although Redondo listed it also as 1737. When they were expelled in 1768, the parish was turned over to the Augustinians then to the Seculars who followed. This bell, dating 1882 were commissioned by the latter.
The bell weighs 82 arrobas, as indicated below the bas relief of the La Asuncion and was commissioned by the parish priest at that time, Fray Toribio Padilla y Lopez whose name is also inscribed at the lower portion of the bell.
It was cast in the foundry of Manila’s prominent bell caster, Hilario Sunico (later Hilario Sunico y Hijos, as later bells will bear), in Jaboneros Street in present day Binondo, Manila. While the foundry is still present with its outstanding grill work, its in a state of disrepair.