It was after the victory of Fray Jose Ducos, SJ, with his warship Nuestra Señora del Triunfo heading his flotilla that repulsed raiders in Panguil Bay in the 1750s. To further protect this area and contain the Iranun marauders, the Jesuit recommended the building of the fort. It was built in 1754 with the first one made of trunks. Four years later, a report from Bishop Lino de Espeleta of Cebu mentioned that the fort is currently being built of stone. The year 1765 inscribed at the gate may refer to the completion year of the entrance.
The fort, now popularly known as the Cotta, has four bastions: San Fernando, San Ignacio, San Jose and Santiago. Work was rather slow that even in 1765, work was still ongoing and a report submitted to the Council of Indies if the project should still be continued. An earthquake damaged one wall and a section of the bastion in 1955. Renovations were done later and finished in 2006. Javellana in Muog, mentions:
Restoration on the fort has been heavy handed and quite imaginative with elements added that were not in the original plan.
The Cotta is just right across the Ozamiz Fort.