The kumbento of Carcar Church is one of the biggest in the province of Cebu. It was also one of the richest. Unfortunately, the interior today is just a shadow of itâ€™s former self when church items were sold by a parish priest during his incumbency between the 80s and 90s. But one can still see beautiful ceiling and wall paintings as well as sala embellishments inside.
The kumbento was first started by Fr. Julian Bermejo and was finished between 1848 and 1850 by Fr. Juan Aragones who reinforced it with buttresses. In 1977, Fr. Constantino Batoctoy renovated it. It is one of the very few kumbentos in Cebu which still retained its tejas roofing like Boljoon` but some sections are already with corrugated sheets.
Strictly speaking, conventos refer to houses for a religious group like nuns and monks but here in the country, it has evolved to mean a parish house or rectory. A residence of the parish priest, it is originally called a casa parroquial. Generally, it is attached to the simbahan either in line with the faÃ§ade or at the back, or separated from the church like the one from Sibonga, Cebu.